Saturday, June 04, 2005

"Environmentalist" Ahnie Owns a Fleet of Hummers

There are real environmentalists and there are pretend enviromentalists like Ahnie, gropenator of California. Because a majority of California voters are truly interested in preserving our lovely state, we support environmental laws. Ahnie posed as an environmentalist to get the votes, but you have to ask yourself, would a real environmentalist own a fleet of Hummers? Ahnie does. In fact, he recently held a publicity stunt in which he appeared with a hydrogen-powered Hummer but he didn't drive away in it.

This is the sort of publicity stunt residents of San Jose witnessed when Ahnie sent a Cal-Trans crew into a neighborhood to dig a pothole where none existed and then Ahnie got photographed filling the pothole.

We'll soon have an opportunity to vote for a real Prius-driving environmentalist for governor and he's already got my vote.

From Dan Newman:
Thought you might enjoy this selection from Phil Angelides’ speech today at the World Environment Day Conference. (Angelides is running against Ahnold and his 7 Hummers – January ’07 is when the next Governor assumes office.)


I thought about starting this speech today by announcing my intention to convert one of my Hummers to run on hydrogen. But there’s a problem.

You see, I don't own a fleet of Hummers, not even one. To show you how politically astute I am, three years ago I actually bought a Prius. I selected it for the same reason any father of passionately opinionated teenage daughters would: Because they told me to.


What they didn't tell me is that one day I would find myself in this bind: How's a guy to prove his devotion to saving the planet unless he has a Hummer to convert?

So I’m going to do it the way every good politician does: By reframing the issue. I am here to tell you today that we are not going to save the planet by converting one Hummer at a time.

Instead, we must set targets. And so I pledge to you that by January 2007 California will cut to zero the number of Hummers owned by its chief executive.