Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Hyperthyroidism in Cats

As a person who lives with three cats and who still mourns the loss of Snoop who suffered from hyperthyroidism, I've been trying to keep up with the latest research about this epidemic in the feline population.

Several months ago, preliminary research suggested a link between hyperthyroidism in cats and a resin that was sprayed into the interior of pop-top cans used for cat food. I immediately took my cats off canned food but when I discussed this with my vet recently, she informed me that researchers are now looking at fish as a cause.

This is in the Short Takes section of the April 2005 issue of Cat Watch, Vol. 9, No. 4 in which they cite the journal Veterinary Medicine Vol. 99, Issue 11:

.... A[n] article in the ... journal examined possible causes of feline hyperthyroidism and elminated several possible culprits: exposure to fertilizers and herbicides, regular use of flea products and having a smoker in the house. But the jury is still out on heavy doses of fish, liver and giblets flavors of canned cat food, which the journal said "may have a significantly increased risk of hyperthyroidism."