Saturday, August 13, 2005

Just Drive On By

George Coward Bush drove past Cindy Sheehan and others standing by the roadside today as he made his way to a fancy BBQ.

When Bush's black sport utility vehicle carried him past the site to a Republican fund-raiser, the protest leader, Cindy Sheehan, whose son was one of the nearly 1,850 U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq, held up a sign that said: "Why do you make time for donors and not for me?"

Other signs said: "Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam," "Bring Them Home Now" and "Meet With Cindy."

The protest vigil began last Saturday and is being led by Sheehan, who has been demanding a meeting with Bush to discuss her opposition to the Iraq war.

Two rows of state troopers faced several dozen activists behind a cordon of yellow police tape as Bush's 15-vehicle motorcade cruised by without slowing.

About two hours later, the president passed by on the return trip and did not stop. Sheehan raised a white cross as the convoy passed.
I'm a mother like Cindy Sheehan, but I can only guess at the pain Cindy feels at the loss of her son. My daughter is still alive, but I clearly remember the anguish I felt when I wasn't certain that she was safe. Dawn was with friends who had a small private plane and when I heard that the plane had crashed and there were no survivors, I was suddenly so weak, I could hardly stand. My mind was in a fog and I couldn't think of what to do and when it finally occured to me to make a phone call, I was trembling so much I could hardly dial the number. I think I made several attempts before I managed to dial the number correctly. Finally when I was able to confirm that Dawn was unharmed, my mind finally cleared and I could think and react normally again.

I don't understand Cindy's suffering because I haven't experienced it. I can only imagine what it must be like for her but I don't think George Coward Bush has the capacity or the inclination to understand Cindy's grief.

I saw him at that press conference when he tried to screw his face up and look compassionate and caring and spoke those carefully rehearsed words:

"I grieve for every death," Bush said. "It breaks my heart to think about a family weeping over the loss of a loved one. I understand the anguish that some feel about the death that takes place."
If he truly cared, he wouldn't have pumped his fist gleefully before going on TV to announce that he was sending America's children to kill and die in Iraq. If I believed in an anti-Christ, I would think that George Coward Bush is he.

And so when Bush passed those grieving parents lining the roadway, he just drove on by. I bet that BBQ was some good eatin'.