Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Farewell to Falwell

While the media polishes Jerry Falwell's biography, I'll remember him as a smug, holier-than-thou spewer of hate - more political that spiritual, more self-righteous than insightful and more divisive than uniting.

His high profile on 24-hour news programs provided him with a public forum in which he became a leader of knuckle-dragging idiots, too stupid to think rationally and too slack-jawed to know any better.

If I were a Christian, I'd be ashamed to be associated with people like that. In an interview with Shambala Sun, Alice Walker shared her insights about Christianity:


"I love Jesus; I think Jesus was wonderful. However, I think he has been distorted terribly. I want to see the wizardry of Jesus restored. I want to feel his dancing quality and his joyfulness. It's a terrible thing that they have left him in that tortured, naked condition, which is bound to frighten most children. Just imagine if he were depicted like the Buddha. I love the way the Buddha goes through all his changes and he's basically very happy. Suffering is not the end-all in life. It is a part of it, and then we rise above it, we work through it, we transform it. Jesus did that."
Jerry Falwell is gone and the world is a lighter place in his absence.